Tier 3 was created in 2003 to provide a more stable and long-term approach to appropriately treating chronic and episodic mood and psychotic disorders. Tire 3 provides insurance against the unpredictable and often reoccurring symptoms of brain diseases. It aims to simplify and monitor complex medication regimen and provide affordable housing. It aims to provide strong support when an individual needs it and very little interference when an individual does not need it.
Tier 3 was created to:
- insure that symptoms are managed
- drastically diminish the need for hospitalizations
- level the playing field to allow someone with a mental illness to transcend the limitations of the illness
Tier 3 Project’s aim is to insure that no ground is lost after initial rehabilitation. Here’s how we do it:
- We hold leases to spacious, affordable, and newly renovated two bedroom apartments, which provide a comfortable and private living experience.
- All of the units are located close together complete with a separate on-site office where medication is housed.
- We evaluate the renewal of individual leases each year—some of our clients have been with us for years.
- We monitor medication daily with all Tier 3 clients.
- We communicate as needed with doctors, therapists, parents, and employers.
- We attempt to limit isolation and spot problems and solve them before they become big problems—e.g. saving the job, not losing the apartment, making wise money decisions, monitoring healthcare and benefits, avoiding costly hospitalizations, etc.
- We attempt to challenge clients to continue to set goals for themselves—to continue to set in motion plans for their future. We want to avoid dependency and we like to see progress and improvement.
We have attempted to create a vibrant, social environment of self-sufficiency and independence that our clients crave, while at the same time providing an underlying solid support structure.
Without these types of safeguards and supports, the re-emergence of even minor symptoms for an individual with a brain disease can sometimes plunge them into a situation where a job is lost or bills can’t be paid or the apartment is at risk—an exponentially worsening set of circumstances.
Tier 3 protects safety, progress, assets, and employment. It nurtures, encourages, and better positions individuals for long-term success.D. Cooley