Monday, September 20, 2010

Social Security and You


Whether you already receive Social Security benefits when you enter Caramore or want to apply for them while you're here, we can help.

Here are a few facts. There are two types of benefits, Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and Supplementary Security Income (SSI). SSDI provides benefits to blind or disabled persons who are "insured" based upon FICA contributions, while SSI provides benefits to low income people who are disabled, blind or elderly.

Many of Caramore's clients receive or are applying for one or both types of disability. Those who receive SSDI will also receive Medicare two years after the date they became eligible for SSDI. Those who receive SSI automatically receive Medicaid.

Some common myths:
  • everybody is denied the first time
  • most people are denied three times before they're approved
  • if you work, you'll lose your benefits
In fact, assuming you are disabled for purposes of Social Security law, your chances of being approved the first time you apply are very good if your case is presented properly.

Also, while SSDI and SSI calculate your "earned income" differently, each allows disabled individuals to work part time. In fact, each program encourages its recipients to work. Caramore's mission is to, among other things, find employment in the community for its clients. It could not do so if Social Security prohibited or otherwise penalized its recipients from working.


Caramore helps those who are seeking benefits navigate the sometimes complicated application process, and it helps those who are receiving benefits understand the rules that apply to them concerning work, Medicare and Medicaid. The interplay between these social services can be overwhelming; it's comforting to our clients and their families to have Caramore there to help with the issues that arise inevitably.

Scott D. Zimmerman
Financial and Benefits Counselor

1 comment:

char said...

I received my SSDI, and still am able to continue working part time. All I have to do is monitor the number of hours I work and how much money I make. However, I did fall into one of the 'myth' categories. Although, I must say, the end result was positive. It, in fact, did take me five appeals before the judge finally approved my SSDI (I do not qualify for SSI). Being the stubborn person I am, I never gave up on my appeal process. So I would encourage anyone to apply if they are eligible and to not give up....ever! I am so glad I stuck with it. And, if one is denied and then finally approved, the payments are retroactive, meaning that that person will receive their compensations for all of those months, too, that they were denied. It's worth the fight!